By Expatriate Living
Moving can be one of the most stressful things an individual or family has to go through. When it comes to people looking to reside out of their native country, you can bet that the moving process is especially taxing on the mind and body. To relive some stress out of your life, you will need to give yourself plenty of time to prepare in order to avoid making the same common mistakes expats make when shipping their belongings.
Hiring the Right People for the Job
Since you have intentions to move out of the country you will not only need to get in touch with a household moving company, but you will also need to hire an automobile transport company as well if you are bringing a car with you. Most auto transport companies such as A1AutoTransport Inc International do offer international transport, but make sure to sort through your options before hiring just anyone for the job. Delve deep into the history of the history company you are interested in to be sure that you are purchasing quality service.
How to Avoid Common Moving Mistakes
- Stay Organized- Staying organized throughout the entire move will lower stress levels greatly. You can keep things organized by having an area designated for packing items. You should pack one room at a time and attack it as a family to get the job done faster.
- Have the Right Materials- For a move, you will need to purchase a few items. Make sure to get packing tape, white packing paper, bubble wrap, boxes, permanent marker, labels, and colored tabs.
- Have Your Vehicle Repaired- Before an automobile can be shipped overseas, the shipper will need to make sure that the vehicle is in proper working order. All vehicles on the deck of the ship will need to be operable so it can be rolled off without calling in special equipment.
- Take Inventory- At least two months prior to the move, you should make a detailed list of all the items you plan on transporting. This way, you can receive a more accurate quote and keep track of things easier.
- Document Existing Damages- Whether it is a vehicle or another expensive piece of personal property, you will want to take photos of the condition of your items. It is a rare occurrence, but in some instances, belongings can get damaged while in transit. Having proof will help your case if you need to file a claim.
Different Ways to Transport an Automobile Overseas
- Enclosed Transport- This provides the shipper with ultimate peace of mind because their vehicle will be out of the elements. If you plan on transporting your vehicle inside of a container, you are permitted to transport other personal belongings inside.
- Roll on Roll off- Transporting a vehicle on the open deck of the ship is the most common way to get it into another country. It is safe, reliable and it is inexpensive. Unlike enclosed transport, you are not permitted to transport personal property inside of the vehicle.
Stay Up-To-Date With Customs Rules and Regulations
It does not matter which port your vehicle will arrive in. All regulations stay the same throughout the country, but things do change from time to time. In order to avoid complications at the port of import, you will need to have the proper documents. Luckily, customs agents typically work alongside of employees of the companies who deliver cargo to the ports.
Documents You Must Bring With You For Shipping a Vehicle Internationally
- Driver’s License
- Proof of Insurance
- Proof of Ownership
- Bill of Lading
- Original Bill of Sale
Mentally Preparing for a Move
Moving to another country will be an amazing experience. Professional auto transport and household moving companies want to be a part of the memory with you and help to create a positive experience. One thing that might be weighing heavy on your mind is the thought of losing something precious to you.
To be sure nothing important goes missing, transport anything with sentimental value in a piece of luggage that stays on your person. If you have questions for the professionals, do not hesitate to ask. If the company you are dealing with does not seem interested in providing great customer service, you can guarantee there are reputable businesses out there that will treat you the right way.